Ube Spanish Bread
For The Dough:
500g Strong white bread flour
2 x 7g packets Fast acting dried yeast
1/4 cup Caster sugar
2 tbsp. unsalted Butter, softened
2 large Eggs
10g Salt, crushed
150ml lukewarm Milk
For the filling:
Ube haleya for filling
2 tbsp. Sugar
1/2 cup Bread crumbs
1) Put all the ingredients for the dough into a large mixing bowl. Mix together with your hands until a dough is formed.
2) Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and knead well for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour.
3) Tip the dough out onto the very lightly floured worktop again and divide into 2 pieces. Roll the half into a log then cut it in 8 pieces.
4) Flatten each piece with a rolling pin, start from the middle outward up and down.
5) Spread a good amount of Ube Haleya, don’t spread at the ends so it can be seal properly. Sprinkle sugar then roll. Then roll the dough in bread crumbs.
6) Place on baking pan with the seam down. Make sure there’s enough spaces in between each bread then cover it with cling film. Let it rise again for another 30-40 min.
7) Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7. Bake the buns for about 10 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
**This recipe can make 16 Spanish breads.