Black Forest Cake
2 1/4 cup Plain Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
2 cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup oil
1 cup Milk
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup of Water
1/4 cup of of the Juice from the Jarred or Canned Sour Cherries
2 Tbsp of Cherry Brandy (optional)
Icing and Toppings:
1 Can Sour Cherries
Glazed Cherries Shavings of Chocolate
2 x 280ml Whipping Cream
6-8 tbsp. Icing Sugar
1. Prepare 10 inch round pan and brush with oil. Set aside. Pre-heat oven to 175C/350F.
2. Combine all dry ingredients together and sift. Make a well at the center and add eggs, oil, vanilla and milk. Beat using a hand mixer until smooth and lump free. Add hot water and continue beating until well combined.
3. Transfer in the prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Do a stick test if the stick comes out clean then remove from the oven. Transfer in a cooling rack and let it cool down completely.
4. For the syrup, combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Let it boil in a medium heat and continue to boil till it thickens for a bit. Remove from the heat and let it cool down completely.
5. For the icing, transfer the whipping cream then add icing sugar. Beat on a high speed until it reach peak stage. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the cake is ready.
6. Cut the cake in the middle. Brush it with the cherrie syrup and spread 3-4 scoops of the whipping cream and put sour cherries on top. Brush the other half of cake with syrup then put in on top of the cake like a sandwich.
7. Ice the cake with the remaining whipping cream. Decorate with glazed cherries and shavings of chocolate. Chill for a minimum of 1 hour. Ready to serve.