My dad’s version of Papaitan or Pinapaitan. Papaitan is a popular regional dish traditionally uses goat innards. You can also use beef tripe and beef meat for this spicy-bitter stew.
- Boil the tripe with water, 1/2 vinegar, 1/3 portion of ginger and 1 onion. Cook till tender and slice into small pieces.
- In a heated pan, sauté garlic, onion, ginger and the remaining innards and beef/goat meat. Sauté it well for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup vinegar, do not stir the meat till the vinegar boils and you can no longer smell the vinegar. Then add the cooked tripe and apdo (papait). Continue to simmer till the vinegar is totally absorbed and till the meat is tender.
- Add water according to your desired amount of soup. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Then add chilli pepper if you want it spicy. Let it boil for 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Remove from heat and ready to serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Filipino