Chicken and Mushroom Pie
400g plain flour
450g chicken, skin removed cut into bite sizes
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, mince
1 cup mixed vegetables
salt & pepper to taste
1 chicken cube
1 cup hot water
2-3 tbsp. chicken gravy granules
olive oil for sautéing
1. Pre-heat the pan with olive oil. Sauté garlic then onion till tender. Add chicken and continue to sauté for a minute. Then add the chicken cube, mushrooms, mixed vegetables, salt & pepper to taste. Continue to sauté till the chicken is cooked.
2. When the chicken is cooked, add the hot water and gravy granules, you can add more gravy granules if the sauce is not thick enough. Once the sauce is thick, then it’s ready. Remove from the heat to cool down.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Prepare a pie dish and grease it with oil and set aside. Place the flour, lard & butter in a mixing bowl, mix it well using a pastry mixer or 2 knives until crumbly. Set aside.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat the eggs using a wire whisk. Then gradually add the flour. Mix by clean hands to form a dough. Divide into 2 balls.
5. Place the first half of the dough on top of the parchment paper then cover it with another parchment paper on top. Then flatten it using a rolling pin. Place the flattened dough in a pastry tray and ensure no air underneath and poke the pastry using fork so that the steam will come out when baking and to prevent it from ballooning.
6. Place the cooled filling in the pastry pan. Repeat procedure no. 5 for the remaining dough. Place the flattened dough on top of the pastry with filling.
7. Using a fork, indent the sides of the pastry to seal it. Don’t forget to poke the top of the pie.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Best serve with additional gravy. Enjoy