2 cups plain flour/ all purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup lard
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg, beaten for brushing
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the middle the add the milk and lard. Mix it well to form a dough, you can add a little bit of flour if the dough is quite sticky. Form the dough into a ball.
3. In a clean flat surface, sprinkle flour and flatten the dough using a rolling pin till it’s thin enough.
4. Use a small cup to shape the empanada crust or if you have a pastry cutter, then it’s much better.
5. Place 1 tbsp. of filling in the middle, you can add a small slice of cheese & a slice of boiled egg but that is entirely optional.
6. Fold the crust till it meet both ends. Using a fork, flatten the ends of the crust it to seal it.
7. Place the empanada in a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with beaten eggs.
8. Bake in a pre-heated oven 350F or 180C for 15-20 min. till it’s golden brown.