2 tbsp. milk
1/8 tsp. salt
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1/3 cup ice cold water
1. Beat the egg the add the milk and 1/8 tsp salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt, mix well. Add butter and incorporate it in the flour using 2 knives or hands or food processor. Mix until it’s like bread crumbs.
3. Add the egg mixture, water and vinegar and mix well using a fork to incorporate all the ingredients.
4. In a clean surface, sprinkle flour and place the dough on top. Do not knead it until you have a flour. This is after pressing 2-3 times with the palm of your hands. Do not over work the dough. Wrap the dough with a cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. In a clean flat surface, sprinkle flour and flatten the dough using a rolling pin till it’s thin enough. Then roll it to form like a log. Cut the dough about 1 inch in size. Flatten the 1 inch dough using a rolling pin.
6. Place 1 tbsp. of filling in the middle, you can add a small slice of cheese & a slice of boiled egg but that is entirely optional.
7. Fold the crust till it meet both ends. Using a fork, flatten the ends of the crust it to seal it.
8. In a sauce pan, deep fry the empanada in a medium heat until golden brown. Drain the excess oil by placing the empanada in a plate with paper towel.