Ube Cream Macaroons
3 Egg Whites, room temperature
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cream of tartar
1 3/4 cup Icing Sugar
1 cup Almond Flour
Violet food colouring
200g Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Icing sugar
1 tbsp. Milk
2-3 tsp. Ube flavouring
**Or Ube jam spread for filling instead of cream cheese
1) In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add sugar slowly and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
2) Sift powdered sugar and almond flour over the egg whites. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg whites. And add ube flavouring. Make sure to not over mix or the macaroons will not rise.
3) Once the batter is ready, transfer it into a piping bag with a round tip.
4) Pipe 1½-inch dollops onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5) Allow the macaroons rest for 30 minutes to an hour, until they are no longer wet to the touch and a skin forms on top.
6) While resting, make the filling by mixing the cream cheese, powdered sugar, ube flavouring and milk in a bowl until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside until ready to fill.
7) Once the macaroons are set, preheat oven to 275ºF (140ºC).
8) When the cookies are dry to the touch, bake for 13 to 15 minutes until they have risen to form a “foot.”
9) Let it rest for 10 minutes before filling. To fill, pipe a circle of the cream cheese mixture around the edge of one cookie and place a small dollop of ube jam. Sandwich with another macaroon.
10) Macaroons are best kept refrigerated until serving. Enjoy!