Ube Egg Pie
1 1/2 cup sifted All purpose flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/3 cup Butter, sliced in cubes
1/4 cup ice cold Water + 1-2 tbsp. if dough is too dry
1/2 tbsp. Ube flavouring
4 large Eggs, separate 1 egg white
1 cup Evaporated milk
1/2 cup Condensed milk
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tbsp. Ube flavouring
1 tsp. Corn starch
1) Combine the flour and baking powder. Mix it well.
2) Add butter and mix it well using a pastry mixer or 2 knives until crumbly then add ice cold water and ube flavouring. Mix together until crumbly (or it appears like coarse meal). Use your hands to mix it and form into a ball. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour.
3) In a separated mixing bowl, combine the eggs (4 egg yolks & 3 egg whites), sugar, milk, vanilla, ube flavouring and corn starch. Mix it well using a wire whisk for 15 min. or until well blended and the sugar is fully dissolved. Set aside.
4) Pre-heat the oven to 325F/165C. Prepare the dough on top of a parchment paper then cover it with another parchment on top. Then flatten it using a rolling pin. Place the flattened dough in a pastry tray and ensure no air underneath and poke the pastry using fork so that the steam will come out when baking and to prevent it from ballooning. Using a fork, indent the sides of the pastry. Set aside.
5) Beat the remaining egg white till soft peak then add it in with the filling mixture. Mix well.
6) Pour the filling into the pastry. Bake for 30 min. in the middle rack of the oven.
7) After 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to 300F/150C and rotate the pie. Continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Check the pie by inserting a stick in the centre of the pie, when it comes out clean, then it’s ready.
8) Remove from the heat and let it cool down for at east 2 hours to firm it up, then it’s ready to serve.