Cinnamon Sugar Bread
For the donuts:
500g Strong White Bread Flour,plus extra for flouring (3 1/3 cups)
50g Sugar (3 tbsp)
40g Unsalted Butter, softened (2 tbsp)
2 large Egg
2x 7g (1.5 tbsp.) Fast Acting Yeast
10g Salt (1.5 tsp.)
150ml Warm milk (1/2cup+1 tbsp)
2 -4 tbsp. Warm Water
Oil for deep frying
For the Coating:
1 tbsp. Cinnamon Powder
1/2 cup Sugar
- Add 1 tbsp. of sugar in warm milk (110F) and add 2 packets (1 1/2 tbsp.) Yeast. Mix it and leave for 5 minutes to bloom.
- For the bread, place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Make a well at the centre and add the bloomed yeast with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir with your hands to make a dough.
- Gradually add another tablespoon of water and massage in the bowl for four minutes.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 15 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place into a lightly greased bowl and leave to rise for 60 minutes, covered with a damp tea towel.
- For the cinnamon coating: combine sugar and cinnamon powder. Mix it well and set aside.
- After the dough has risen, transfer the dough out onto the very lightly floured worktop again and remove the air by pressing the dough with your fingers. Divide into 2 pieces. Flatten the first half using a rolling pin till the thickness is about 1/4 inch.
- Using a 4-inch round cutter, cut the dough and transfer in a tray lined with parchment paper. Cut the excess dough into bite size pieces. Continue the rest of the dough. Make sure there’s enough spaces in between each dough then cover it with cling film or dumped cloth. Let it rise or prove again for another 40 minutes.
- Preheat a deep fat fryer, filled with sunflower oil to 180C/350F (Caution: hot oil can be dangerous; do not leave unattended.)
- Drop each bread in separately, cooking each side for about a minute or until golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place onto a plate lined with kitchen towel to soak up the excess oil. Leave to cool down a bit.
- Roll the bread in Cinnamon sugar. Transfer in a cooling rack to cool down completely before serving. Enjoy!