For the Dough:
500g (3 1/3 cups) Strong White Bread Flour,plus extra 1/4 cup for dusting
50g Sugar (3 tbsp)
40g Unsalted Butter, softened (2 tbsp)
2 large Eggs
2 x 7g Fast Acting Yeast (1 1/2 tbsp.)
10g Salt (1.5 tsp.)
150ml Warm milk (1/2 cup)
2 -4 tbsp. Warm Water
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs for coating
Oil (for kneading)
1 can (200g) Tomato Paste
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Mixed Herbs
1/2 tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. Water
Salt and Pepper to taste
Or you can use ready made Bbq Sauce
Grated Cheddar cheese
Any pizza filling of your choice
- Combine flour and all the ingredients for the dough into a large mixing bowl. Mix together with your hands until a dough is formed.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and knead well for 15 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough is sticky, pour a good amount of oil on your work top and on your hands. Continue kneading until the dough is easy to handle. Return the dough into the lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour.
- While waiting for the dough, let’s do the pizza sauce. Heat up a sauce pan and pour the olive oil. Add creamed tomato paste , garlic powder, onion powder, mixed herbs and sugar. Stir it well. Add water according to your desired thickness. Let it simmer for 2 minutes then remove from the heat. Let it cool down completely and set aside.
- After the dough has risen, transfer the dough out onto the very lightly floured worktop again and remove the air by pressing the dough with your fingers. Flatten the dough thinly using a rolling pin, adjust with flour if sticky. Spread the pizza sauce thinly but leave about 1 inch without a sauce. Sprinkle grated cheddar cheddar generously. And add filling of your choice.
- Roll the dough firmly like a log and secure the ends by pinching the dough. Slice the pizza rolls into 12 pieces. Roll 1 pieace of dough in bread crumbs or grated parmesan cheese. Place the pizza roll facing up in a tray lined with parchement paper. Make sure there’s enough spaces in between each pizza. Top it up with extra cheese on top. Cover it with cling film or dumped cloth. Let it rise or prove again for another 40 minutes.
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes depending on the size of the pizza roll. Best serve while it’s hot. Enjoy!