For The Dough:
500g Strong white bread flour
2 x 7g packets Fast acting dried yeast
1/4 cup Caster sugar
2 tbsp. unsalted Butter, softened
2 large Eggs
10g Salt, crushed
150ml lukewarm Milk
For Glazing and Filling:
5 tbsp. Icing sugar
1 tbsp. Milk or water
200ml Whipping cream
Ube haleya for filling
1) Put all the ingredients for the dough into a large mixing bowl. Mix together with your hands until a dough is formed.
2) Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and knead well for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour.
3) Tip the dough out onto the very lightly floured worktop again and divide into 2 pieces. Roll the half into a log then cut it in 8 pieces.
4) Flatten 1 piece of dough using your fingers the place about 1/2 tbsp. of Ube Haleya in the middlle then seal the dough to make a ball. Roll the dough on the work top in circular motion to make a smooth round ball.
5) Place it in a lightly grease loaf pan and cover with cling wrap or damp towel. Leave to rise for about 40 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7. Bake the buns for about 10 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
6) For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add cold milk or cold water and 1/2 tsp. Ube flavouring (optional) to make a thick paste. When the buns have completely cooled, pour or dip the icing on top of the Ube buns. Leave to set on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
**The recipe can make 16 buns