Ube Spanish Bread with Ube filling
500g (3 1/3 cups) Strong White Bread Flour,plus extra 1/4 cup for dusting
50g Sugar (3 tbsp)
40g Unsalted Butter, softened (2 tbsp)
2 large Eggs
2 x 7g Fast Acting Yeast
10g Salt (1.5 tsp.)
150ml Warm milk (1/2 cup)
2 -4 tbsp. Warm Water
2 – 3 tbsp. Ube Flavouring
1/2 – 3/4 cup Ube Haleya or Ube Jam
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs for coating
Oil (for kneading)
- Combine flour and all the ingredients for the dough into a large mixing bowl. Mix together with your hands until a dough is formed.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and knead well for 15 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough is sticky, pour a good amount of oil on your work top and on your hands. Continue kneading until the dough is easy to handle. Return the dough into the lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour.
- After the dough has risen, transfer the dough out onto the very lightly floured worktop again and remove the air by pressing the dough with your fingers. Divide into 2 pieces. Roll the half into a log then cut it in 8 – 10 pieces. Flatten 1 piece long ways, spread ube haleya or ube jam. Sprinkle with sugar. Fold the sides then roll to form like a log.
- Roll each piece of dough in bread crumbs and place the dough in a tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure there’s enough spaces in between each bread then cover it with cling film or dumped cloth. Let it rise or prove again for another 40 minutes.
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes depending on the size of spanish bread.
- After baking, transfer on a wire rack ready for serving. Best served hot. Enjoy!