Banana Upside Down Cake
For the batter:
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. Cinnamon powder
1/4 cup milk (optional) if the batter is a bit dry
For the caramel layer:
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon powder
1 tsp.Vanilla Extract
3 Bananas, sliced about 1/2” thick
1. For the caramel sauce, combine Brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan and place it on a low heat. Stir occasionally till the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat then add vanilla and cinnamon powder. Set aside.
2. Prepare 9 inch round baking pan and grease it. Pre-heat the oven to 175C. Transfer the caramel syrup into the baking pan. Arrange the sliced banana around the baking pan. Set aside.
3. Sift and combine all dry ingredients except for sugar and mix it all together and set aside.
4. Mash the peeled banana in a large bowl then add sugar, egg, vanilla, melted butter and cinnamon powder (optional). Mix it well.
5. Fold-in the sifted dry ingredients. And mix it well.
6. Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan. It’s easier if you place the baking pan in a baking tray. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Don’t forget to do stick test to check if the cake is done.
7. Once the cake is done. Let it cool down for about 5 minutes. Then loosen up the cake using a butter knife and run around it. Transfer in a cake platter and let it cool down completely for an hour. Enjoy!