Brazo de Ube
7 Egg whites
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cream of tartar
1 tbsp. Corn starch
7 Egg yolks
1 cup Condensed milk
1/4 cup Evaporated milk
2 tbsp. Ube flavouring
Violet food colouring
1) Pre-heat oven to 175C/350F. Prepare a 12x16x1 in. baking tray with lined with parchment paper.
2) For the meringue, beat the egg whites using a hand mixer until foamy then add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat on high speed then add the sugar slowly and lastly add the food colouring. Continue beating until peak stage. Make sure that your whisk is oil free.
3) Transfer the meringue onto the prepared tray and spread evenly. Using fork level off the meringue to create a wavy design. Bake it for 25-30 minutes.
4) While waiting for the meringue, transfer the egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk and ube flavouring in a sauce pan. Simmer on low heat while stirring continously until it thickens. Set aside.
5) Once the meringue is baked, remove from pan and transfer immediately over a piece of parchment paper dusted with icing sugar. Ensure that the portion of the meringue with the wavy design lies on the parchment paper. Leave it to cool down.
6) Spread the filling and roll it. Transfer in a tray for serving. Enjoy!