Aling Oday’s version of Chiffon Cheese Cake. Chiffon Cheese Cake is a soft and fluffy light cake with milky buttercream and generous amount of grated cheddar cheese as sprinkles.
- Separate the eggs and place the egg yolks in one bowl and the whites in another. Cover with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) and have it ready a 9 inch un-greased pan.
- Sift 1 1/4 cups of cake flour in a bowl. Add 1/2 tbsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix it well and set aside.
- Combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar in a bowl. Mix it well using a hand mixer for about 1 minute until it turns light yellow in colour. Add the 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 cup fresh milk and 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract. Mix it for 30 seconds. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix it again for about 1 minute or until the batter is smooth and lump-free. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with the whisk attachment, combine the egg whites and 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until bubbly. Gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar beat and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- With a large rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold the egg whites (in three additions) into the batter just until blended (be careful not to deflate the batter).
- Pour the batter into the un-greased pan and bake for about 35 – 40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (When lightly pressed, the cake will spring back). Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert (turn upside down) the pan and place on a cooling rack. Let the cake to cool completely before removing from pan (about 1 – 1 1/2 hours).
- For the buttercream, cream the softened butter using a hand-mixer. Add 1/2 cup powdered semi-skimmed milk and 1/2 cup condensed milk. Mix it well until smooth. You can add 1 – 2 tbsp. of fresh milk or evaporated milk if the buttercream is too dry.
- To remove the cake from the pan, run a long metal spatula around the inside of pan to release the cake. Slice the cake in the middle to have 2 round slices or you can leave it as it is. Spread the buttercream evenly around the cake.
- Grate the cheddar cheese on top and around the cake. Note: it’s better to grate the cheese directly onto the cake to avoid lumps. The more cheese, the better it taste.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving. Enjoy!
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Filipino
Keywords: chiffon cheese cake