Chiffon Cheese Cake
4 large Eggs
1 1/4 cups sifted Cake Flour
3/4 cup Caster Sugar (1/2 & 1/4)
1/2 tbsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tbsp. pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Vegetable/Corn/Canola or Sunflower Oil
1/4 cup Fresh Milk
1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar (optional)
- Separate the eggs and place the egg yolks in one bowl and the whites in another. Cover with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) and have it ready a 9 inch un-greased pan.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, (or use a hand mixer) place the flour, sugar (1/2 cup), baking powder, and salt. Mix it well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg yolks, oil, fresh milk and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth (about one minute). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup (50 grams) of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. With a large rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold the egg whites (in three additions) into the batter just until blended (being careful not to deflate the batter).
- Pour the batter into the un-greased pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (When lightly pressed, the cake will spring back). Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert (turn upside down) the pan and place on a cooling rack. Let the cake to cool completely before removing from pan (about 1 – 1 1/2 hours).
- To remove the cake from the pan, run a long metal spatula around the inside of pan to release the cake. Slice the cake in the middle to have 2 round slices. The cake is now ready for frosting of your choice.