Despicable Me Cake
1 13×9 inches chocolate cake
2 cups yellow icing
3/4 cup white icing (big round tip)
1/4 cup black or grey icing (fine round tip)
1/4 cup black or grey icing (medium round tip)
1 1/2 cup blue icing (star tip)
6 round black fondant or chocolate buttons
2 6×1/2 inches black fondant strips
You will also need:
spatula big & small
4 strips of wax paper 12 inches long, 4 inches wide
1 tooth pick or bamboo screwer
5 piping bags
cookie cutter (about 2-3 in diameter)
1. Cut the 4 corners of the cake to form an oblong. Place the strips of wax paper slightly underneath the 4 corners of the cake for protection.
2. Using the yellow icing, crumb coat thinly the whole cake then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes in the fridge, continue to ice the whole cake for the thicker layer. Smoothen it using a spatula.
4. Using the cookie cutter, lightly indent it into the upper portion of the cake for the eyes. Then using the white icing with a large round tip, pipe the icing around the indention to cover the whole circle. Flatten/smoothen the icing for the eyes.
5. Place the 2 round fondant icing or chocolate buttons on top of the white icing. Using a toothpick, scoop a tiny bit of white icing and place it on top of the black fondant for the glare effect.
6. Using the grey/black icing with medium round tip, pipe the icing around the eyes for the eyeglasses effect. Then place the black fondant strips both sides of the eyeglasses, cut any excess fondant strips.
7. Using the grey/black icing with fine round tip, draw or pipe a smiling mouth by the middle of the cake. Then pipe hair strands on top of the cake.
8. Using the bamboo screwer or toothpick, outline the overall/jumper for Minion’s pants/trousers. Then using the blue icing with a star tip, pipe the icing around the outline including the sides and bottom of the cake. You can also use the grey/black icing with a fine round tip to high light the pants.
9. Place the remaining black round buttons 2 on top and 2 at the bottom of the cake.10. Remove the wax paper around the cake. Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour to firm up the icing then ready to serve. Enjoy!