Mocha Angel Cake
10 Egg Whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup Cake Flour
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 tbsp. Instant Coffee Powder
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C. In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder and instant coffee powder, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites using a hand mixer or stand mixer till bubbly then add salt and cream of tartar. Beat on medium speed until the eggs whites are frothy.
- Turn the speed up to medium high and start adding the sugar slowly continuing to whisk until the egg whites have reached stiff peaks.
- Turn the mixer off and using a spatula, fold in the flour mixture and vanilla extract. When adding in the flour, add it 1/3 portion at a time and fold well after each addition.
- Pour batter in an ungreased 10 inch tube pan (the 2 part pan) and run a knife through it to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until it springs back to the touch. Immediately invert the pan onto a wine bottle or any kind of object that can hold the pan upside down. Cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Dust icing sugar on top. Slice and serve on it’s own or with whipping cream or dusted with icing sugar. Enjoy!