Pineapple Upside Down Cake
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar3 medium eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
7-8 pineapple slices
4 glazed cherries cut into halves
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1. Prepare and grease 9 inch round pan and pre-heat the oven to 175C.
2. Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, for a few more minutes or until bubbles just start to appear around the outside edges of the mixture (the sugar starts to caramelize).
3. Then remove from heat, and pour into your prepared cake pan. Evenly arrange the pineapple slices on top of the sugar mixture and also garnish with cherries. Set aside.
4. For the cake batter, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
5. Combine liquid ingredients milk, water and vanilla. Set aside.
6. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour mixture (in three additions), alternately with the milk mixture. Set aside.
7. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until the whites hold a firm peak. With a large spatula gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter in two additions. Pour the batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 45 – 55 minutes, or until the top of the cake has browned and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan (a toothpick inserted into the cake (not the pineapple) will come out clean).
9. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan and then invert the cake onto your serving plate. Ready to serve and enjoy!