Red Velvet Muffin
2 ½ cups of All Purpose Flour
¼ cup of Cocoa Powder
1 ½ cups of Granulated Sugar
2 tsp of Baking Powder
1 tsp of Baking Soda
½ tsp of Salt
½ cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
¼ cup of Vegetable Oil
2 tsp of White Distilled Vinegar
1 Cup of Buttermilk
Red Food Coloring
2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 tbsp. powdered sugar or icing sugar
300ml whipping cream
200g of Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin trays and line it with muffin paper and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
3) In the bowl of a standing fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar and vegetable oil.
4) Add the Eggs and vanilla and cream them together until well combined.
5) In a measuring jug, mix together the buttermilk, vinegar and enough food colouring to get a deep red colour.
6) Add the buttermilk mixture along with the dry ingredients and allow everything to mix together until you get a smooth batter.
7) Pour the batter in a jug to ease in transferring into the muffin tray. Pour the batter into the muffin tray half filled. Continue the procedure till all the batter is consumed.
8) Bake on a 170C pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the stick comes out clear.
9) To make the frosting, in a large bowl, combine the whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat the whipping cream on a high speed till you reach soft peak stage. Then add the cream cheese and continue mixing on a lower speed till it’s well blended. Remember not to over-mix the cream as it will become lumpy. Refrigerate till the cake is ready for frosting.
10.) Once the muffins are completely cooled down, you can start piping the frosting on top of the muffin using a rose tip.
11) Best serve with tea and coffee. Enjoy