Ube Cake Flan
For the Ube Cake:
1 3/4 All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 cup Sugar
2 tbsp. Ube flavouring
3/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
For the Flan:
1 big can Evaporated Milk
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
200g Cream Cheese
2 Whole Eggs
2 Egg Yolks
2 tsp. Vanilla
For the caramel:
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tbsp. Water (optional)
- Using a small pan, caramelize the sugar on a low heat. Once the sugar turns brown, you can add 1 tbsp. of water (optional). Move the pan by rotating it so that the sugar will not melt. Remove from the heat once the sugar is fully caramelized.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan really well with non stick spray and place it in a large roasting pan. Poor the caramlised sugar into the bottom of your greased bundt pan making sure to cover the bottom well. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, in a large bowl, whisk together all of your dry ingredients and make a well at the centre.
- Pour all the wet into the dry ingredients and mix well using a hand held electric mixer and set aside.
- Add the cake batter on top of the caramel, smooth the top so its nice and even.
- In a bowl, add the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream cheese eggs, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix using a wire whisk or hand mixer until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the flan mixture over the cake batter, cover the whole thing with foil.
- Pour some really hot water in the roasting dish, enough to come up about an inch from the bottom of the bundlt pan.
- Bake for 1-1 hour and 10 minutes, look to see that the top of the cake is firm.
- Allow to cool for about an hour, invert it onto a platter and enjoy!