2 1/4 cups cake flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tsp vanilla extract
7 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
Grated cheese for garnishing
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175C and line 2x 10 inch baking pans with parchment paper or wax paper, set aside. In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks & sugar then mix it till light yellow in colour. Then add water, and vanilla extract. Give it a good mix.
3. Combine flour mixture with egg yolk mixture, and continue mixing until well blended and lump free. Set aside.
4. On a separate bowl and using an electric mixer, beat egg whites till bubbly then add cream of tartar, continue beating till soft peak stage then the sugar gradually. Continue beating on high speed till you reach peak stage.
5. Combine batter 1 and batter 2 and fold using a wire whisk or rubber spatula. DO NOT OVER MIX, but only carefully stir so not to deflate the egg whites foam.
6. Pour the mixture and divide into the prepared 2x 10 inch round cake pans and bake it for 40-45 minutes or till the stick test comes out clean.
7. Transfer to cooling rack and let the cake cool down completely.
For Yema frosting no. 1
1 can condensed milk
1/2 can evaporated milk
6 egg yolks
Mix together in a shallow pan and cook until sticky.OR
Yema frosting no. 2
2 cans condensed milk boil unopened cans in a pan for 3 hours! then pour the condensed milk into the cake as frosting.
1. Spread part of Yema frosting at the top of 1st half of Chiffon cake, and cover with the remaining half of Chiffon cake.
2. Spread the remaining Yema frosting on top and sides of the two layer chiffon cake. Spread evenly garnish generously with grated cheese!
Tips:1. Whipped egg whites at room temperature. Cold egg whites will not peak to foam.
2. You can use the left-over egg whites from the yema frosting for the Angel Cake Recipe, check my recipe on ATBP.