Crispy Roasted Pork Belly
1kg Pork Belly
Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
1) Wash the pork belly and pat it dry with a paper towel.
2) Take a very sharp knife and cut lines across the pork skin about 1 cm apart. You want to cut through the skin and but only a couple of millimeters into the fat underneath.
3) Rub the skin with about a tablespoon of salt. Sit your pork belly on a baking tray and chill in the fridge (uncovered) for at least 2 hours or best if it is left overnight.
4) Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F.
5) Pat dry the skin with a paper towel. Rub a little oil and sprinkle with a little extra salt. Place the pork belly skin side down in a roasting dish. Top with baking paper and place an oven-proof weight on top (a cast iron pan or a heavy casserole dish will work well). Roast the pork belly for 1 hour.
6) After an hour remove the weight and baking paper and turn pork belly over so it is skin-side up. Roast for a further 10 to 20 minutes.
7) Transfer the crispy roasted pork belly in a chopping board ready to slice before serving. Best serve with Pinakurat na suka. Enjoy!