Lumpiang Shanghai with Chilli Sauce
3/4 kg. Ground Pork
3 stalks Celery, finely chopped
1 big Carrot, grated
1 big Onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp. Sweet Pickle Relish
2 large Eggs
25 – 30 pcs. Big Lumpia Wrapper
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
2 tbsp. Red Rice Wine Vinegar (optional)
1 cup Water
2 tbsp. Tomato Ketchup
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Chilli flakes
1 1/2 tbsp. Cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp. Water
1) Mix all the ingredients for lumpia in a large bowl.
2) Season with salt and pepper adjust according to you taste. To test the taste, just fry a little bit of the mixture, then you can adjust the seasoning if needed.
3) Separate the spring roll wrappers. Get 1 piece of whole wrapper and scoop about 2 tbsp. of the mixture and place it on top end of spring roll wrapper. Roll the wrapper and seal the edge with egg wash or water. Continue the procedure till all the mixture is wrapped. Set aside.
4) In a small sauce pan, combine water, ketchup, sugar and chilli flakes. Mix it well and bring it to boil. Then slowly add the cornstarch slurry till the sauce thickens.
5) Pour oil into a pan and deep fry the lumpia till golden brown.Best serve with sweet and chilli sauce.