Roasted Rolled Pork Belly
2-3 kg. (or more) pork belly
3 cups vinegar
2 cups fish sauce
1 big onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup ground pepper
5 stalks lemon grass
**We will also need thread to tie the rolled belly.
1. Remove any bones/ribs from the pork belly. Using a sharp knife, slice the pork belly through the middle up to an inch left at the end to double the length of the pork belly.
2. Rub the pork belly with the ground pepper. Leave some pepper for the broth.
3. Place 3 stalks of lemon grass at the end of the belly and carefully roll it tightly till the and of the belly.
4. Using the thread, tie the belly tightly (see video), then set aside.
5. Pour the vinegar and fish sauce in a big pan then add onion, garlic, ground pepper, lemon grass and water. Place the rolled pork belly into the pan and let it simmer for 2-3 hours on a medium heat till tender. Make sure to turn the pork belly in-between simmering for even cooking.
6. Once the pork belly is tender, remove from the pan and transfer it into a plate and pat it dry using a aper towel. Leave it to dry for a few hours, preferably overnight for best result.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Place the rolled belly in the oven to cook for an hour.After an hour, turn the pork belly and increase the heat to 240C and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
8. After 30 minutes at 240C, turn off the oven but leave it for a few minutes inside the oven before slicing. Sliced thinly.
Best serve with pinakurat vinegar or gravy. Enjoy!