500g Squid, cut into rings
1/2 cup Plain flour
2-3 Eggs, beaten
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
2 tsp Salt
Oil for deep frying
1/4 cup Plain Flour
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the batter, combine cornflour, egg and water in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix it well and set aside.
- Dry the squid rings using paper towels. Set aside.
- For coating, dip the squid in plain flour ensure to cover the squid with flour evenly.
- Dip it in batter then into panko bread crumbs, ensure to coat the squid well. Set aside and continue till all the squid rings are coated.
- Pre-heat oil in a small sauce pan for deep frying.
- Fry the calamares in a low heat. Be careful with the hot oil as it will splash. Cover the sauce pan until the oil settles down.
- Remove the cover after 2 minutes then turn over the calamares to cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes on a low heat.
- Once the calamares are golden brown, remove from the heat and transfer in a plate with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
Transfer in a platter and serve with sweet and chilli sauce. Enjoy!