500g squid boiled and finely chopped
1 medium size carrots, finely chopped
4-5 stalks spring onions, finely chopped
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup corn starch
1 cup plain flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. ginger paste
oil for frying
1 cup water
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. corn starch dissolve in 4 tbsp. water
1 tsp. chilli powder (optional)
1. In a bowl, combine squid, carrots, spring onions, onion, corn starch, flour, baking powder, ginger paste, salt & pepper to taste and beaten egg. Mix thoroughly using a spatula. Refrigerate the mixture for an hour.
2. While waiting for the mixture in the fridge, prepare the sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan except for the corn starch. Bring to boil then slowly add the dissolved corn starch while stirring continuously. Continue stirring till the sauce is thick enough. Remove from the heat and let it cool down.
3. After an hour in the fridge, form the mixture into balls (adjust the size according to your preference).
4. Pre-heat the oil in a small sauce pan for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, fry the squid balls till golden brown on a medium heat. Do not over crowd the pan.
5. Once cooked, transfer the squid balls in a plate with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
6. Serve with the sauce and bamboo screwers to pick up the squid balls. Enjoy!