Chicken Cordon Bleu
1kg boneless chicken breast or boneless thigh
150-200g Mozerella or cheddar cheese
100g smoked ham
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. mixed herbs (optional)
1/2 to 1 cup plain flour
1 egg + 2 tbsp. milk for egg wash
1/2 to 1 cup bread crumbs
oil for frying
- Slice the chicken thinly make sure not to slice it through. Pound the chicken using the back of the knife so the chicken will be soft and thin.
- Place the chicken flat on the work surface. Rub the top of chicken with salt, pepper and the optional ingredients of mixed herbs.
- Place the sliced ham on top lengthwise then a small slice of cheese at the end of the chicken then roll it tightly. Secure with a cocktail screwer (toothpick). Cut the end of the stick if needed.
- Beat the egg and add milk for the eggwash. Dip and roll the chicken into the flour then to the eggwash and lastly into the bread crumbs. Make sure that the meat is well covered.
- Pre-heat a pan with a minimal oil. Fry the chicken on a medium heat for 2 minutes or till golden brown on each side.
- Prepare a tray lined with foil. Pre-heat the oven to 350F/175C. Transfer the chicken into the tray then bake it for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness or how big is the chicken. Alternatively, you can continue frying the chicken on a low heat for 10 minutes on each side.
- Slice the cooked chicken in a platter. Best serve with cheese sauce or sweet chilli sauce. Enjoy!