Mamon Flan or Custard Mamon is a very popular Filipino cake made up of chiffon cake topped with creme caramel and caramel syrup also known as leche flan.
- Prepare the 10 to 12 mamon moulds by placing the softened butter in a bowl and cream the butter using a hand mixer till it turns light and yellow. Use this to brush the moulds. Make sure you brush the moulds well, then set aside.
- Transfer the caramel ingredients in a small sauce pan. Do not mix it. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes till the sugar is syrup consistency. Transfer the caramel in prepared mamon moulds. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 175C/350F. Combine the cake flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl, sift it well at least three times. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and melted butter and mix it well using a hand mixer until pale yellow in colour. Add water and mix it again till well blended.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and continue mixing for 3 minutes until all ingredients are blended. Scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat the egg whites using a hand mixer on high speed. Add the sugar grdually and continue to beat till you reach soft peaks or till the egg whites have doubled in size. Reduce the speed to low and run for a few seconds to eliminate air bubbles in the merIngue.
- Gently fold-in the egg whites into the batter using the cut and fold method. Make sure to fold-in gently to prevent the meringue from collapsing. Fold-in till eventually mixed. Do not over-mix it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared moulds. Transfer the moulds in a deep baking tray and pour hot water into the tray about 1 inch deep as bain marie. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven immediately and transfer it into the wire rack. Let it cool down before removing from the mould. Enjoy!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: silipino
Keywords: mamon flan, custard flan