This mocha cake is packed with chocolate and coffee flavour and the chiffon cake is a soft and fluffy light cake. With mocha buttercream and generous amount of grated milk chocolate as sprinkles.
- Separate the eggs and place the egg yolks in one bowl and the whites in another. Cover with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) and have it ready a 9 inch un-greased pan.
- Sift 1 1/4 cups of cake flour in a bowl. Add 1/2 tbsp. baking powder, 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix it well and set aside.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in 1/2 cup warm fresh milk. Set aside.
- Combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar in a bowl. Mix it well using a hand mixer for about 1 minute until it turns light yellow in colour. Add the 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 cup fresh milk with coffee and 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract. Mix it for 30 seconds. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix it again for about 1 minute or until the batter is smooth and lump-free. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with the whisk attachment, combine the egg whites and 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until bubbly. Gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar beat and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- With a large rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold the egg whites (in three additions) into the batter just until blended (be careful not to deflate the batter).
- Pour the batter into the un-greased pan and bake for about 35 – 40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (When lightly pressed, the cake will spring back). Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert (turn upside down) the pan and place on a cooling rack. Let the cake to cool completely before removing from pan (about 1 – 1 1/2 hours).
- For the buttercream, dissolve the 1/2 tbsp. of coffee granules and 1 tsp. cocoa powder in a 1/4 cup warm evaporated milk. Set aside. Cream the softened butter using a hand-mixer and add 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Mix it well and gradually add the milk and coffee mixture. Continue to mix until smooth.
- To remove the cake from the pan, run a long metal spatula around the inside of pan to release the cake. Slice the cake in the middle to have 2 round slices or you can leave it as it is. Spread the mocha buttercream evenly around the cake. You can sprinkle it with chocolate sprinkles on top as an option.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving. Enjoy!
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Filipino
Keywords: mocha chiffon cake