Salted Caramel Roll
1 cup Cake flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
5 large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. Sugar
1/4 cup Evaporated milk
2 tbsp. Oil
1/2 to 3/4 cup Salted caramel for filling and toppings
250g unsalted Butter, softened
3/4 cup Icing Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tbsp. Milk optional if the icing is dry
1) Line one piece 12″x16″x1″ baking tray with parchment paper. Pre-heat oven to 350F/175C.
2) Sift all dry ingredients and set aside.
3) Combine all liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl with paddle attachment. Mix at low speed until all ingredients are blended.
4) In a bowl with wire whisk attachment, beat eggs and sugar and mix for 1 minute at low speed.
5) Increase to medium speed and continue mixing for 3-4 more minutes until soft peaks form.
6) Decrease to low speed and fold dry ingredients for 8-10 seconds or until incorporated (don’t over mix).
7) Gradually add liquid ingredients and fold. (Do not over mix.)
8) Pour the batter unto the prepared pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
9) For the buttercream, using a hand mixer, mix the softened butter and icing sugar. Add the evaporated milk slowly, 1 tbsp. at a time. Set aside.
10) Let the cake stand for 5 minutes after baking. Prepare a parchement paper lightly dusted with icing sugar on top of a clean tea towel. Using the tea towel, roll the cake while it is warm and let it cool down while it is rolled. Peel off the liner once the cake is cool.
11) Spread vanilla buttercream thinly on top of the sponge and spread 1/2 portion of salted caramel then roll the cake. Place the rolled cake on a cake tray or plate.
12) Apply the rest of the vanilla buttercream on the surface of the cake. Pour the rest of the salted caramel on top. Ready to serve. Enjoy!